BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS

Twenty seven years ago, Cassius “Money” Hargrove, a fourteen year-old freshman from New Brunswick, NJ, broke Highland Park High School’s (and my) heart with his cold-blooded game-winner in the Central Jersey Group 1 championship. The story of that game and the racial and socio-economic issues that seethed just below the surface is the subject of my new documentary, “Blood, Sweat & Tears: A Basketball Exorcism,” which is in post-production as we speak.  Trailer below, and hope you enjoy.

6 Responses to “BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS”

1. Andrei Tarchovsky says:

Hi John! I was just wondering after reading this post. First, I know for a fact that the ‘documentary’ you’re talking about is ‘Who Got Next’. I have been following the progress and I would really love to see it. I’m just wondering what’s taking so long! I loved Unknown Soldier, so I am really anticipated for this one! Any progress? And just wondering, what other projects are you currently working on? Thank you!

• admin says:

As a huge fan of “Stalker,” love your username, and thanks for getting in touch. Actually, this is a new project which I’m hoping will inject new life into “Who Got Next?” The reality is that I was unable to secure enough funding to finish that project, which forced me to put it on the table. But the nice thing about documentary is that they take on new life as the time goes by, and I’m hoping that will happen here. The main criticism/suggestion I received for my 8 minute demo reel was that I should put more of myself into the story, to give it a clearer sense of what it was about (a la “Unknown Soldier”). At the time I cut it, I wasn’t comfortable with that, but now that I’m getting to an age where my basketball addiction could end at any moment (my back held together with rubber bands and bubble gum), it’s starting to make more sense to me. That’s why I decided to attack the “Cassius” story — which is designed to be a complete story about 10 minutes long. I’ve been wanting to solve the mystery of whatever happened to him for years, and at the same time, I’m hoping I’ll be able to use it as a springboard to bring “Who Got Next?” back off the shelf. I’ll let you know how it goes, and keep an eye out for the short — I’ll be posting an update and some footage in the next few weeks…

2. Noel Pyne says:

Hey John,

Love the preview! Hope to see it.

• admin says:

Noel,

Glad you got a chance to see it. Screening is this Saturday at 7PM at Highland Park High School if you feel like seeing what I looked like in those 80’s short shorts…

Hope all is well.

john

3. Erik says:

Could not make it to the screening the other night, but saw the trailer for your film a few weeks back. Being a lifelong resident and 2007 graduate of HPHS I would love to see this film in its entirety. Will it become available at all online, or can you provide anymore information to this end?

• admin says:

Erik,

Thanks for reaching out and I probably won’t be showing the movie online until I find a distributor. But I will be having several more local private screenings, so be on the lookout for the announcements here and in town. Next two will be in New Brunswick, looking like mid-January.

John